## Cucumber Beetle
Cucumber beetles are a common pest of cucurbit plants, such as cucumbers, squash, and melons. There are two main types of cucumber beetle: the striped cucumber beetle and the spotted cucumber beetle.
**Striped cucumber beetle**
The striped cucumber beetle is about 1/4 inch long and has a yellow abdomen with black stripes. It is found in North America and is active from spring to fall. The striped cucumber beetle feeds on the leaves, flowers, and fruit of cucurbit plants. It can also transmit bacterial wilt, a disease that can kill cucurbit plants.
**Spotted cucumber beetle**
The spotted cucumber beetle is about 1/4 inch long and has a yellow abdomen with 12 black spots. It is found in North America and is active from spring to fall. The spotted cucumber beetle feeds on the leaves, flowers, and fruit of cucurbit plants. It can also transmit cucumber mosaic virus, a disease that can damage cucurbit plants.
**Prevention and control**
There are a number of ways to prevent and control cucumber beetles. Some of these methods include:
* Planting resistant varieties of cucurbit plants
* Removing weeds and debris from the garden, as these can provide habitat for cucumber beetles
* Covering plants with row covers when they are young
* Hand-picking cucumber beetles and dropping them into soapy water
* Using insecticidal soap or neem oil
* Applying a pesticide to the soil before planting
It is important to note that pesticides should only be used as a last resort, as they can be harmful to the environment and beneficial insects.
**Tips for controlling cucumber beetles**
* **Scout your plants regularly.** The sooner you spot cucumber beetles, the easier they will be to control.
* **Remove any infested leaves or fruit.** This will help to prevent the spread of disease.
* **Place sticky traps near your plants.** This will help to catch adult beetles.
* **Avoid using pesticides.** Pesticides can be harmful to the environment and beneficial insects.
If you have a serious infestation of cucumber beetles, you may need to consult with a pest control professional.
- Growing Your Best Cucumbers
- When to Water Your Garden